For over a decade, B&A has conducted the annual Sign of the Times research which delves into the consumer mindset, consumer decision-making, and the cultural and societal context in Ireland.
This year, B&A conducted five qualitative focus groups with consumers across Ireland and a robust nationally representative quantitative survey (n=1000) through our Acumen online panel that uncovered 5 key themes for brands in 2023.
- The cultural backdrop: Ireland is currently going through a process of significant societal change. We are becoming older and more diverse. The country is also in the process of redefining its values and identity – there is a growing realisation that we need to shape our own future as we can’t rely on others.
- Trained to endure: Consumers have become a battle-hardened bunch. The challenges of the last few years has trained consumers to endure economic and social uncertainty – with consumers more able to adapt to circumstances as they arise.
- The rise of self-care: Despite having the desire to maintain a slower pace of life post-pandemic, consumers have fallen headfirst into a productivity trap as they try to catch up on what they and their families missed out on. However, not all lessons have been lost – with people now more determined than ever to put strategies in place to achieve balance within the chaos of life.
- The battleground of human & technology: There is a feeling that we are on the cusp of a giant leap forward with the emergence of new technologies such as the metaverse and ChatGPT. However, as we reach ‘peak tech’ consumers are starting to question who is actually controlling who.
- A new frontier for sustainability: As we get closer to 2030, the gap between where we are and the government’s targets feels wider and wider apart. However, early adopters are beginning to find ways to engage with the circular economy.
If you would like more details on this research for a no-charge 45-minute presentation of the findings for you or your team, please email email@example.com